Golden Retriever Puppy Nearly Dies After Eating Mushrooms From Backyard

Originally posted on CBS New York:

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - Pet owners beware: Those mushrooms growing in your backyard may be fatal to your pet.

Sandy, a 13-week-old Golden Retriever, was rushed to the East End Veterinary Emergency Center after eating mushrooms from her backyard, CBS 2’s Carolyn Gusoff reported.

“We spent four days not sure she would make it,” said Sandy’s owner, Richard D’Alsace, of Manorville.

D’Alsace found mushrooms in his puppy’s mouth but didn’t think they were poisonous. By morning Sandy was vomiting and on the verge of kidney and liver failure, Gusoff reported

“She was practically on the verge of death,” said Dr. Gal Vatash of East End Veterinary Emergency Center.

After 10 days of blood transfusions and medication, Sandy is now well enough to go home. But the danger remains: poisonous mushrooms grow everywhere.

“You find them in parks, backyards and along the road,” said Peggy Horman of the Long Island Mycological Club. “They are deadly…

View original 182 more words

About these ads
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. The Adventure Journal Theme.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,078 other followers

%d bloggers like this: